Wearing an original leather belt has always been a part of a stylish and elegant image while counterfeits have usually been associated with low quality and poor look. Leather belts remain to be the accessories for those who appreciate long-term authentic crafts. Their durability comes throughout the years.
Of course, it is much easier to purchase a custom leather belt if you need something done perfectly for you. We have a great range of hand-made leather belts for those who trust professionals. But that`s also an interesting and great deal that real men can cope with — to make a leather belt using your own hands.
No other material is as eco-friendly and timeless as leather. Its good smell and other qualities justify its price. Of course, original hand-made leather belts can be not a cheap thing, so making your own belt is a worthwhile alternative. Just make sure you are aware of the whole procedure. Actually, starting with belts is a good choice for those who only begin with leatherwork, so we are here to give you some helpful points based on our manufacturers` experience.
Leathercraft tools and supplies
First of all, let`s talk about leather material you may need for the procedure of making belts.
- Vegetable-tanned leather. It is better to think about this leather type if you need to apply oil, use different tools for cutting leather, do stamping and dying of your craft. More suitable would be leather strips (an eight to nine oz.) here if you don`t need the whole piece. Moreover, it will have the exact thickness you need without using leather craft tools and width as well.
- Water buffalo leather. A good option for those who already want to get dyed, pliable and softer strips of leather for making belts. This option has good flexible qualities and can be done with a matte finish. It saves your time in leather projects as you don`t need to dye this piece.
- Vintage glazed leather. Those who made this leather material for making belts, made it, on the contrary, to be stiffer and added vintage parts. Gloss is a part of this leather type too.
- Horse leather. This interesting leather material becomes more interesting and with character after years of being used. Gorgeous type for those who want leather that has personality.
- Chrome treatment leather. This amazing material is the perfect leather for making belts you choose.
- Burgundy or Ultramatin Thunder. This is the name of our most popular collection made of cattle leather. Absolutely luxurious, in required size from 1,5 to 2,5 qm and 3,0 – 4,0 mm thickness. Choose chrome or vegetable treatment and be ready for making your leather belts.
So, you have already chosen the most suitable leather for making the belt. What`s next? Of course, if you`re ready for the craftwork you must provide yourself with these supplies:
- A buckle
- Some oil
- Leather dye
Also some optional supplies:
- Edge paint
- Thread for embellishments
You may use other additions, but make sure you will only improve the style and quality of your belt.
Except all of this, when you start your job with leathercraft and want to get an excellent result, it is advisable to have these kinds of tools for cutting leather (you can find them even at your own home, but it is better to visit hardware or leathercraft tools store): gloves, 3/16 hole punch, edge beveler, strap cutter, sandpaper, and straight edge.
Now, when you are ready and equipped with tools for making your leather belt, it`stime to start!So, how to make the accessories you will love? First of all, think about the style of your hand-made and the type of belt you want to get: do you need stampings or other peculiarities, and be ready you have all the necessary to make it.
But, whatever you choose, there are three steps that are in every leather belt work and we are ready to give you some advice on them.
How to dye leather
Do not forget to put on gloves for the dying belt when your paint is something harsher, than vegetable-based dye.
It is also important to dry the whole belt material. You can use a hairdryer or toilet dryer to make this process quicker for example.
This stage also implies your creative ideas if you want to make your leather belt special and unique (for instance, using multiple dyes or you can embroider something unique on it).
Moreover, you can do without dye. Extra virgin olive oil can darken the color of your leather too.
How to punch a hole in a leather belt
First of all, find the end for the tail of your belt. You could curly trim the belt from one side using tools while cutting leather. Then, make some marks to show where your holes should be. The middle one should fit you perfectly, but some other holes are additional for occasions where you do not need to be thin and strict all the time and just want to feel comfortable. You can also use a belt for reference.
How to attach belt buckle
Before attaching your leather belt buckle, don`t forget to handle a belt loop (and the edge for a buckle). Make it slimmer: not to get uncomfortable with a thick loop afterward. Then it`s time to prepare your material for the buckle. We advise to fold thinner edge (or edge for the buckle) and soaking it in the water. Thus, the leather would become softer and more moldable for further work and for holding its shape better.
There are different types of buckles in the modern world, but we would advise on how to make a classic one. Now, in the folded and soaked place you have to make 3 holes (as you did before), but this time elongate them to make one hole. Put the buckle right onto this place and fold the edge. Now the last step — secure the buckle in its place — set rivets there.
No matter fashionable or comfortable leather you wanted to get — all in your arms! Just be sure about the quality of leather you purchase for making belts, and tools for cutting leather you use.